Sunday, January 11, 2009

My fiirst workout since I found out I was preggers!

Ok, so I got my pregnant butt (and every other body part) in the gym today. It was extra hard cuz my little two year old (whom I adore) made a huge fuss about me going, and I hate to leave her when she is crying, plus she didn't feel that good. But Daddy assured me she would be ok and that I needed to get in there!

So I put on my heart rate monitor cuz I think ALL pregnant women should wear one and "got my workout on." Ok, I have to confess, I didn't work out a lot during the Holidays PLUS in the first trimester heart rate increases because the body is working hard at building up the blood volume needed for the baby. So I was a bit worried my blood pressure would be higher than 140...(the usual recommendation by OB/GYN's).

Well.....I started lower than 140............then got up to 187! Totally NOT recommended...so I had to take more breaks and longer, but all in all it felt good and although I went back to a crying toddler, I felt I accomplished my goal.

I think it is important to keep the workouts up during the first trimester if your OB/GYN says it is ok. That way it's not an uphill battle in the 2nd and 3rd trimester and won't be so much work keeping the extra pounds from piling on.

I was also more hungry this afternoon, which is the breaks when strength training, but I had carrots, broccoli (cooked, I don't care for raw), some lean turkey slices and then my fav....peanut butter m&m's!! Everything in moderation and I'm not going to deny myself and then eat a whole chocolate cake later, at least that is NOT my plan. We'll see how it goes. ;)
Rebecca E. Davison, CPT
http://www.fitandfabulouspregnancy.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment